Youth decry selection process in the 26,000 jobs announced by the President

0 627

On Saturday 25th April, President Uhuru Kenyatta announced the creation of 26,000 new jobs to cushion the youth and the vulnerable against the effect of the Covid-19 pandemic.

In his address to the nation on Saturday, the president said the National Hygiene Program will geared towards guaranteeing the youth employment and also taking care of the environment in the same beat.

“This initiative that will commence on April 29, 2020, is an initiative that we will call a National Hygiene Program. I believe that this initiative will create jobs and make our environment healthier at the same time,” The president said

Just three day after the president’s announcement, youth in Mlango Kubwa, Nairobi, turned up at the chief’s camp on Monday to give out their details for the said jobs.

They were however disappointed to find that a detailed list for the said jobs had already been drafted by the area chief.

Speaking to Ghetto Radio news, John Maina said that he does not understand what criteria was used since some who made it to the Chief’s list are already employed.

“These jobs were announced by the president on Saturday, we came here on Monday only to be told that the list is full. The saddest part is that some people on that list are employees of the Sonko rescue team.” He said

Simon, another resident says that they raised a complaint and the chief drafted another list but they are not convinced.

“What criteria did he use to draft the list and how come some of the people on the list are already employed? He has cartels that he works with around here. They are the ones who were sent to write the names and they ended up drafting the names of those close to them. He has however written a fresh list with our details but I don’t trust it. I’ll only believe it when I receive a call from them.” Simon said

Comments
Loading...