By Annette Amondi
Having run from the year 1930 when it was first played in Uruguay the World Cup is the most widely viewed sporting event in the world, with over one billion people watching every 4 years. However little is not about the fan facts that happen during this much viewed tournaments period. Here are some fan facts you probably didn’t know happen or have happened during the world cup period.
- Many coaches ban their players from having sex during the World Cup.Especially Acrobatic Sex) During World Cup. Coaches from teams including Germany, Spain, Mexico and Chile have all forbidden their players from having sex during the tournament. The mangers claim sex is a distraction and a waste of the player’s energy.Other managers, like Brazil’s Luiz Felipe Scolari, took a more mixed approach. When asked his stance, he stated his players can have sex but are to abstain from more “acrobatic” forms of sex.
- The World cup tournament Causes Increased Birth Rates in the Host Countries. It is alleged that NINE MONTHS after Germany hosted the World Cup in 2006 their country’s birthrate increased more than 10 percent. Let us wait and see what happens to Russia come next year.
- Cuban Andres Escobar Nicknamed The Gentleman, was murdered in the aftermath of the 1994 FIFA World Cup, allegedly as retaliation for having scored an own goal which contributed to the team’s elimination from the tournament.
- India withdrew from the World Cup competitions in 1950 when they were not allowed to play barefoot. India qualified by default for the 1950 FIFA World Cup finals as a result of the withdrawal of all of their scheduled opponents. But the governing body AIFF decided against going to the World Cup. Although FIFA imposed a rule banning barefoot play following the 1948 Olympics where India had played barefoot, the popular belief that the Indian team refused to play because they were not allowed to play barefoot is not entirely true, according to the then Indian captain Sailen Manna, it was just a story to cover up the disastrous decision of the AIFF.
- Over three million beers and close to four hundred thousand sold during the 2010 South African Fifa world cup. Over 750,000 liters of beer were sold in stadiums during the 2010 South Africa World Cup. Worry not; these guys also ate 390,600 hot dogs, so it’s safe to say a hung over wasn’t an issue
For more of such fun facts tune in to Ghetto Radio 89.5 fm or follow the hash tag #Worldcupmtaani on twitter.