Former Safaricom CEO Bob Collymore’s memorial service was on Thursday held at the All Saints Cathedral as a Sombre mood engulfed the mourners who were filled of tribute.
One of the tributes that touched many was the one given by Wambui’s uncle who was also the spokesperson of the family.
Wambui’s uncle narrated how Bob went to ask for Wambui’s hand in marriage and had to face him since Wambui’s father had died.
While giving his tributes, some of the similarities between Wambui Kamiru’s father and Bob Collymore emerged.
Here is a list of some of the similarities the two gentlemen shared;
- Both died of cancer- Wambui Kamiru’s uncle shared how Wambui’s father was diagnosed with cancer in the early 2000. After a series of treatments, he later died in the year 2007. Bob also died of Acute Myeloid Leukemia on July 1st 2019.
2. Both refused treatment at the last minute- A discussion that the members of the boys club yesterday on JKL, Peter Kenneth revealed that Bob refused to reply to their messages of suggestions of treatment knowing that his time has come. Wambui’s uncle shared a similar situation about Wambui’s father saying that he refused the series of surgeries saying he was not going to take them anymore.
3. Both accepted death – Just a few hours after Bob’s death, journalist Jeff Koinange revealed that Bob was prepared to die. His doctors had told him that he was not going to live past July. Wambui’s father accepted that his time had come.
4. Both believed that one can only be remembered for their – deeds and not the wealth they accumulated.
5. Both loved Wambui Kamiru – One loved Wambui as a daughter and the other one as a wife and friend.