The excelling individuals and teams in the recently concluded first season of the SportPesa Super 8 League will be awarded in a glitzy black tie gala ceremony to be hosted by Extreme Sports Limited this Friday 25 November at the Carnivore Restaurant, Nairobi.
Nairobi county governor Dr. Evans Kidero is expected to preside as the chief guest amongst other dignitaries who are also expected to grace the red carpet event which is slated to commence from 6:00 PM.
After seven months of competitive grass root football action in the three tier league, the organizers of the league Extreme Sports Limited and title sponsors SportPesa will be rewarding the most outstanding players as well as teams who will battle it out amongst themselves in a vaunted list comprising of 10 categories.
According to Extreme Sports Limited, the event seeks to highlight and celebrate a successful inaugural season as well as to recognize exceptional performances during the competition which has given rise to local community football heroes.
“It has been a great year for the history of grass root football in Kenya and Extreme Sports Limited is proud to be part of it and this is why we have made arrangements to celebrate the efforts made by teams and players in a special way through the SportPesa Super 8 Gala night which inspirational event that seeks to reward the best performances of the season.” Bernadette Kagechu, the Business Development manager at Extreme Sports Limited quipped.
She further added: “Every player and team that participated in the league performed well making the season a success and it is time to recognize the most outstanding individuals while encouraging other participants to do even better come next season.”
Each category contains 3 nominees who were selected by the organizers but the winner will be selected by a panel of 15 coaches from the league after keen analysis of the records and overall performances of the players, teams and match officials during the just concluded campaign.
TUK FC signed off the season by sweeping the SportPesa Super 8 Champions League title, one of four that was on the offing by the league. Kayole Asubuhi clinched the SportPesa Super 8 Premier League while NYSA tucked the SportPesa Super 8 Division One League. River of God (ROG FC) won the 10th edition of the SportPesa Super 8 Soccer Tournament.
GOLDEN BOOT AWARD
- Francis Thairu -Kawangwre United (26 goals in SportPesa Super 8 Premier League)
- Robinson Shitandi – NYSA (27 goals in SportPesa Super 8 Division One League)
BEST PLAYER (MOST VALUABLE PLAYER)
- Jeconiah Uyoga Omondi (TUK FC)
- Joel Mutua Mwanzia (Kayole Asubuhi FC)
- 3. Victor Walerah (Jericho All Stars)
- Paul Maina (TUK FC)
- John Macharia (Kayole Asubuhi FC)
- Erick Ogweda (Jericho All Stars)
MOST PROMISING PLAYER
- John Mutua -18 years (NYSA)
- Zidane Ochieng’-16 Years (Makadara Junior League)
- Bilal Hashim-17 Years (Angola FC)
COACH OF THE YEAR
- Isaiah Omondi (Kayole Asubuhi)
- Dan Juma (Ajax FC)
- Lukas Aluoch (TUK)
- Ken Juma
- Juma Turke
- Amos Ichingwa
BEST ASSISTANT REFEREE
- Judy Wamoro
- Moses Kuol Malual
- Grace Mumbe
MOST DISCIPLINED TEAM
- Diguna FC
- Technical University of Kenya (TUK FC)
- Shamako Babes FC
BEST ENTREPRISING TEAM
- Metro Sports FC
- Kayole Asubuhi FC
- Meltah Kabiria FC
- TUK FC
- SportPesa Super 8 Champions League- TUK FC
- SportPesa Super 8 Premier League – Kayole Asubuhi FC
- SportPesa Super 8 Division One League –NYSA
- SportPesa Super 8 Tournament- River of God (ROG FC)