The residents managed to put the fire out the fire three hours later after City Council fire engines were unable to make it to the scene.
The fire, which is suspected to have been caused by a stove that exploded, started at around 9.30 am and quickly spread to the other structures, with the residents losing all their belongings.
Jack Owich, an eye witness, told Ghetto Radio News that the slum’s impassable roads made it impossible for fire brigade engines to reach the site of the fire to put it off.
Judith Akinyi, a mother of three, was at a loss of words on the direction her life and that of her family will take as she lost everything in the fire and called on the government and well-wishers to come to their aid.
AUTHOR: CLARET OKINYI